Welcome to the BEAM Community
The BEAM Community is a group of projects that run on the Erlang VM. Our goal is to host relevant projects in the Erlang and Elixir communities, making it easy for those projects to participate in the Google Summer of Code (GSoC) (and similar initiatives), giving interested students a wide range of projects to choose from.
The Erlang VM was originally designed by Ericsson to support distributed, fault-tolerant, soft-real-time, non-stop applications. Many companies around the world like Amazon, Heroku and Activision use the Erlang VM in their stack and databases such as CouchDB, Riak, BarrelDB, ejabberd XMPP server, Nerves project and programming languages like Elixir are built on top of it too.
BEAM Community applied to be a Mentor Organization in 2019 and results will be announced on February 26, 2019.
Google Summer of Code 2019
This year, eight BEAM Community projects have been suggested for GSoC:
- Idea #1: Add GraphQL Layer to barrel
- Idea #2: Improve Regression test coverage
- Idea #3: Improve Barrel telemetry
- Idea #4: Improve tooling to debug barrel
- Idea #1: Spam fighting with Blockchain
- Idea #2: Support for Things Discovery service in ejabberd
- Idea #3: Web UI administration improvements
- Idea #4: XMPP and HTTP convergence
- Idea #5: MQTT - XMPP Pubsub bridge
- Idea #1: Two-Factor Authentication for Hex
- Idea #2: Package vulnerability disclosure for Hex
- Idea #3: Make BEAM debugger work for Elixir
- Idea #4: Dead code detection - generate code coverage information for a running system
- Idea #1: Erlang Code Formatter
- Idea #2: Elvis Improvments
- Idea #3: Multi-node distributed tracing with Redbug
- Erlang Lab
- Idea #1: Reduce the cost of collecting trace events
- Idea #2: Render telemetry measurements
- Idea #1: MongooseIM Webhook
- Idea #2: Personal Eventing Protocol (PEP)
- Idea #1: Nerves Guides
- Idea #2: Native Elixir Bluetooth LE Library
- Idea #1: Protocol Testing
I'm a student, what should I do?
Now is a great time to get started! Go over our Projects & Ideas Wiki and pick the projects and ideas that interest you the most! Also, subscribe to our mailing list and join us at
#beam-community on irc.freenode.net.
Students should pick their projects and submit proposals between March 25, 2019 - April 9, 2019. We recommend students to work closely with mentors in order to craft the best proposals. Our mailing list is the best place to ask questions and get more details about our projects!